One of the oldest buildings remaining in the city of Waynesboro, Virginia, the red brick house at 1017 New Hope Road was built around 1820 and served as the city's first school as well as a Masonic lodge.
The red brick house, known alternatively as the "Arnold House" or "Mason's Hall," needs extensive renovation to bring it up to code. A committee of concerned citizens has been formed to raise the funds and pledges necessary to demonstrate community interest to the City in preserving this piece of Waynesboro's history. Funds collected will be held until it is determined whether the Committee can proceed with plans for preserving property. If efforts are not successful, donors can choose whether to have funds earmarked for other historic preservation efforts in Waynesboro or have the funds returned in full.
Through this site you can donate directly or pledge a dollar amount to be collected later. For those who prefer not to pay online, checks can be made out to the Waynesboro Heritage Foundation (WHF), a 501c3 organization, which is collecting all funds on behalf of the Save the Red Brick House Committee. Checks should be mailed to the Foundation at P.O. Box 517, Waynesboro, VA 22980 and include Brick House Committee in the memo line.
Join us in stepping up to help save our history.